£140k project to remove asbestos from Guildhall ahead of sale

Ireland News News

£140k project to remove asbestos from Guildhall ahead of sale
Ireland Latest News,Ireland Headlines
  • 📰 nottslive
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 72 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 32%
  • Publisher: 52%

The work is considered to be 'essential'

Nottingham City Council will spend £140,000 to remove asbestos from the historic Guildhall in an "essential" step towards its sale and transformation into a hotel. The authority decided on January 31 to approve the funding of the second phase of asbestos removal at the former district heating plant areas situated below the Guildhall and Trinity House, Burton Street, Nottingham.

Phase one of these works has been completed, with a report noting the removal was considered to be essential in enabling the sale of the Guildhall site. , with a fine-dining rooftop restaurant and spa among the facilities that will be developed there. Last September, the council said that although the hotel plans were agreed in principle, they are still subject to a Section 106 agreement which will not be agreed until the Guildhall sale is completed. The decision report warned that any problems with the sale would "materially affect the council’s capital programme/debt repayment". The money expected from the sale of the building is said to be significant.

The council has also entered into a Deed of Surrender with the owners of Trinity House and EnviroEnergy - which is in voluntary liquidation - and a condition of the deed is to remove all remaining asbestos and redundant mechanical and electrical systems. The works will not impact any of the listed elements of the property.

Previously as much as £130,000 was signed off by Nottingham City Council to spend on structural surveys of the Grade-II listed building and clear pigeon droppings ahead of its transformation. Gaps in the building's exterior had allowed pigeons to infest the building, resulting in the bird mess, which a council report said was "causing significant damage to listed parts of the property".

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

nottslive /  🏆 96. in UK

Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

UK pushes ahead with plans to bring crypto under mainstream regulation\n\t\t\tExpert insights, analysis and smart data help you cut through the noise to spot trends,\n\t\t\trisks and opportunities.\n\t\t\n\t\tJoin over 300,000 Finance professionals who already subscribe to the FT.
Read more »

Fears bottle return scheme will not be ready by August deadlineFears bottle return scheme will not be ready by August deadlineThe scheme is due to launch in August but businesses say they have not received key information.
Read more »

Konate suffers injury blow that may cause Liverpool to re-think deadline day plansKonate suffers injury blow that may cause Liverpool to re-think deadline day plansLiverpool have been dealt yet another injury blow with news Ibrahima Konate has been ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring problem. And it could cause the Premier League giants to re-thi…
Read more »

Plans to boost regeneration and development around Old TraffordPlans to boost regeneration and development around Old Trafford4,000 new 'high-quality' homes are part of the plan
Read more »

Walkers plans new potato preparation plant in LeicesterThe crisp giant purchases land from the city council near to its existing factory in Leicester.
Read more »

Plans to convert part of Melton Borough Council offices into hotelPlans to convert part of Melton Borough Council offices into hotelCouncillors are set to vote on plans to convert part of their Parkside offices into a 65-bed hotel.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 00:00:37