Florida official acknowledges lack of oversight into ride manuals after boy's death

Ireland News News

Florida official acknowledges lack of oversight into ride manuals after boy's death
Ireland Latest News,Ireland Headlines
  • 📰 YahooNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 58 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 59%

When the official was asked by a reporter to clarify that no federal or state agency oversees what manufacturers put in their ride manuals, she said, 'That's correct.'

The head of the Florida agency charged with investigating whether there were security failures when alast week while on a ride at an Orlando amusement park acknowledged Friday there is no direct oversight of what thrill-ride manufacturers put in their manuals dictating safety measures.

"There is no oversight board that says that. However, per our statutes, every single ride needs to have an affidavit from an engineer, engineering firms that sign the affidavit on … the protocols of every aspect of the ride, making sure that it is safe. So we have to make sure that when we authorize a ride to open, that we have received that documentation both in the manufacturers and from an expert engineer who has done all the necessary testing … and that's what we have to rely on.

Orange County Sheriff John W. Mina said during a news conference last week that the incident appeared to be accidental."It appears to be a terrible tragedy," the sheriff said. "Our prayers and thoughts are with the family. We can't imagine what they're going through," he said. "We have suspended the operations of the FreeFall ride and the Slingshot ride at Icon Park," Ritchie Armstrong, the CEO of the Slingshot Group, said in a statement.

"He was a really good kid. Really respectable. It was always, 'No sir. Yes sir.' ... He had a bright future ahead. He was very intelligent."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

YahooNews /  🏆 380. in US

Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Officials say inspection of Orlando ride that killed teen was 'up to par'Officials say inspection of Orlando ride that killed teen was 'up to par'ORLANDO, Fla. — (ORLANDO, Fla.) -- The Orlando amusement park ride that killed a 14-year-old boy last week was 'up to par,' officials said Friday.
Read more »

14-year-old who fell to his death Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: cousin14-year-old who fell to his death Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: cousinTyre Sampson was turned away from other rides because of his size before falling to his death from the FreeFall drop tower, his cousin says.
Read more »

14-year-old who fell to his death at Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: Cousin14-year-old who fell to his death at Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: CousinTyre Sampson was turned away from other rides because of his size before falling to his death from the FreeFall drop tower, his cousin says.
Read more »

14-year-old who fell to his death at Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: Cousin14-year-old who fell to his death at Florida amusement park was turned away from other rides: CousinTyre Sampson was turned away from other rides because of his size before falling to his death from the FreeFall drop tower, his cousin says.
Read more »

Disney execs in leaked video boost ‘queerness,’ ‘gay agenda,’ elimination of terms ‘boys and girls’Disney execs in leaked video boost ‘queerness,’ ‘gay agenda,’ elimination of terms ‘boys and girls’The Walt Disney Co. is fighting Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay Bill” even as the company embraces what could be described as a policy of “Don’t Say Boys and Girls.”
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 21:54:51