The Abbey House Prayer Group had been occupying the Clonmel church since New Year’s Eve
Last month Patrick O’Gorman, chairman of the Abbey House Prayer Group , promised to end the 23-day sit-in protest at the Friary Church in
The protest was over the Franciscan Order’s decision to close the building. It began after what was supposed to be the final Mass there on New Year’s Eve before the group returned the keys to the Franciscans.Luis Rubiales found guilty of sexually assaulting Spanish footballer Jenni HermosoThe SF Trust, which owns the property on behalf of the Franciscans, decided to close the 13th century church due to diminishing numbers, the age of its members and the “unrealistic” cost of maintenance.
Mr O’Gorman said the group accepted it had been conducting an “illegal sit-in”. He said the occupants were “not religious zealots” but mostly “retired, elderly people who have been coming to the church for generations”. He said the people of Clonmel were “very upset” at the closure and the members' around-the-clock protest was a “last resort”.Tallaght family settles case over how paramedics dealt with mother in hours before her death from pneumoniaGarda fitness requirements relaxed as force struggles to increase numbersIreland team to play Wales: Dan Sheehan is picked captain to ‘grow leadership’ in group
Franciscan Order Abbey House Prayer Group
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
House, car and cash seized from drug dealer were funded by crime, High Court rulesThere was no acceptable evidence to rebut evidence of a prima-facie probability that the cash seized was drug-dealing money, judge says
Read more »
Prince Harry settles High Court claim with The Sun publisher at start of trialHarry, 40, alleged he was targeted by journalists and private investigators working for News Group Newspapers (NGN), which also published the now-defunct News Of The World
Read more »
High Court to Decide on Fate of £2 Million Stallion Amid Ownership DisputeThe High Court in Ireland is set to determine the temporary housing of a valuable breeding stallion, Sands of Mali, estimated to be worth between £2 million and £3 million, while a legal battle over ownership unfolds. Businessman Steven Parkin and bloodstock expert Joe Foley, managing director of Ballyhane Stud, are locked in a dispute over the horse's ownership, with Parkin and his company claiming full ownership while Foley asserts a 50% share.
Read more »
High Court Orders Ignored: Vulnerable Teens Left Without Secure CareA High Court judge criticized the lack of secure care beds for vulnerable teenagers, calling it an 'absolute disgrace'. Several children ordered into care remain at large due to bed shortages, putting them at risk of suicide, drug abuse, and sexual exploitation. The judge highlighted the issue of understaffing in secure care centers and called for increased pay to address the crisis.
Read more »
Sinn Féin launches High Court action over Government's 'Super Junior Ministers'Deputy Patrick ‘Pa’ Daly filed his legal papers over the matter with the High Court on Tuesday
Read more »
Varadkar Could Be Called to Testify in High Court Case Challenging Super Junior MinistersPeople Before Profit TD Paul Murphy is suing the Irish Government over the inclusion of 'Super Junior Ministers' in Cabinet meetings, claiming it violates the constitution. Mr Murphy has indicated that former Taoiseach Leo Varadkar may be called as a witness in the case. The legal challenge argues that the participation of these additional ministers in Cabinet exceeds the constitutional limit.
Read more »