Tanaiste Leo Varadkar admits NPHET not consulted over key lockdown decision
Tanaiste Leo Varadkar has admitted that NPHET was not consulted on the decision to allow 100 people to attend weddings.
He told Newstalk: “We didn’t get any specific advice from NPHET on this, so this is very much a decision of Government." "We would still very much be saying to wedding planners and couples that you want this to be a happy day that you remember forever, you don't want this to be a day that is remembered as a Covid outbreak.
Speaking on Tuesday, Mr Varadkar said that he did not want to give the impression that the things were normal as he warned of further cases and hospitalisations in the weeks to come.When asked if he could see himself at Electric Picnic this year, Mr Varadkar said: "I wouldn't go that far just yet. We are still in a pandemic. We haven't seen this Delta wave peak yet.
"I wouldn't like to create the impression that we'll all be at festivals in September because that might create the impression that the pandemic is over and it absolutely isn't."
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Leo Varadkar 'issues demand to NPHET' as Delta variant spreads across IrelandIreland is continuing to battle the spread of the Delta variant
Read more »
Leo Varadkar confirms Ireland to overtake UK's vaccination rate in 'next week or so' | JOE.ieLeo Varadkar confirms Ireland to overtake UK's vaccination rate in 'next week or so'
Read more »
Leo Varadkar 'issues demand to NPHET' as Delta variant spreads across IrelandIreland is continuing to battle the spread of the Delta variant
Read more »
Leo Varadkar confirms Ireland to overtake UK's vaccination rate in 'next week or so' | JOE.ieLeo Varadkar confirms Ireland to overtake UK's vaccination rate in 'next week or so'
Read more »
Ministers to push for wedding guest limit to be increasedNphet to discuss Delta variant threat; Niac advice on immunising 12-15-year-olds is ‘imminent’
Read more »
100 guests allowed at weddings from August 5, minister confirmsGovernment have had a change of heart after Tanaiste Leo Varadkar advised couples last week to plan for 50 guests at their weddings in August
Read more »