'Two million people would have been without electricity supply if it was successful.” Ukrainian officials say Russian military hackers tried to knock out power to millions of Ukrainians last week in a long-planned attack that was foiled.
, and that the attackers later uploaded the malware, dubbed Industroyer2. The malware succeeded in disrupting one component of the impacted power station’s management system.
The Computer Emergency Response Team of Ukraine thanked Microsoft and the cybersecurity firm ESET for their assistance in dealing with the power grid attack in a bulletin posted online. ESET said in a blog post that the destructive attacks had been planned for at least two weeks. In another serious cyberattack of the war, hackers knocked offline the internet and cellular service of a major telecommunications company that serves the military, Ukretelecom, for most of the day on March 28.
— When the aggressor is pummeling civilian targets with bombs and rockets there is little need to hide behind covert cyberactivity.
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Russia-Ukraine live updates: Russian convoy heads toward eastern Ukraine as new Mariupol death toll emergesThe regional governor of Kharkiv said the town of Izyum “remains the hottest spot” of the war, as Russia moves more equipment and troops into place, in preparation for what Zelensky described as “even larger operations in the east of our state.”
Read more »
Russia-Ukraine live updates: U.S. expects ‘same brutal tactics’ as Russian troops pivot to DonbasUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky accused retreating Kremlin forces of leaving behind thousands of mines in the Kyiv region.
Read more »
Russia-Ukraine live updates: Russian forces accused of chemical attack in MariupolLATEST: Ukraine announces it is investigating claims that chemical weapons were used in an attack against Ukrainian soldiers in besieged Mariupol.
Read more »
Ukrainian defenders dig in as Russia lines up more firepowerKYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian forces dug in while Russia lined up more firepower Sunday and tapped a decorated general to take centralized control of the war ahead of a potentially decisive …
Read more »
Ukrainian defenders dig in as Russia boosts firepowerUkrainian forces are digging in while Russia’s military lines up more firepower, tapping an experienced general to command the war.
Read more »
Ukrainian defenders dig in as Russia boosts firepowerA showdown looms in Ukraine after Russia appointed a new military commander and looked to concentrate its attacks in the east, while Ukraine's president said his troops will hold their ground, urging Western leaders, in particular President Joe Biden, to do more.
Read more »