'Operation Iompar' involves Gardaí using a lorry tractor unit fitted with blue lights to spot motorists using their phones or not wearing seatbelts
' Operation Iompar' involves Gardaí using a tractor unit fitted with blue lights to spot motorists and HGV drivers using their phones or not wearing seatbelts.Advertisement The new lorry will be used by Roads Policing Units nationwide and will provide for"targeted enforcement on dual carriageway and motorway network throughout the country.
" It will see two Gardaí in the lorry - a driver and an observer - with the observer spotting any offending drivers. Gardaí say 'Operation Iompar' is already having yielding results - with over 100 drivers detected during three periods of action using the lorry - the majority of which were found to be using their phone while driving."Due to the height of some vehicles, it can be difficult at times for Gardaí to detect motorists committing offences such as travelling without a seatbelt, using a phone or electronic device while driving holding a mobile phone or engaging in other poor driving behaviour that can distract and therefore potentially lead to a fatal or serious injury road traffic collision," the force says. "When in use on a targeted operation, the HGV will allow Gardaí to observe drivers in any make, model or size vehicle from a more elevated position and therefore help them to enforce the key lifesaver offences."Superintendent Stephen McCauley said the new approach will help detect unsafe driving. "It’s not always easy to clearly observe the irresponsible drivers of some vehicles on a dual carriageway or motorway so introducing an unmarked HGV will hugely support our work," he said. "Operations like this are important because they mean that those that are detected for a road traffic offence must consider their unsafe driving. "Drivers need to know that there is a real risk of them causing a fatal or serious injury collision if distracted and not keeping their full attention on the road."while driving. That's almost 2,000 more than during the same period in 2023. Last month 421 drivers received a fine and penalty points on their licence having been found using their phone behind the wheel.Main image: The unmarked Garda lorry being used as part of Operation Iompar. Image: Newstalk/Alex Rowley
Dual Carriageway HGV Motorway Operation Iompar Patrol Car Roads Policing Units Superintendent Stephen Mccauley Tractor Unit Unmarked Garda Lorry Unsafe Driving
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News: You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Dash to hospital in a Garda car ‘saved my baby’s life’, mother saysCo Limerick mother praises fast-acting gardaí and says ‘Thanks to them I have my baby here with me’
Read more »
Deadline for Garda deputy commissioner applications extended after few suitable candidates applySenior gardaí reluctant to apply owing to tax implications
Read more »
Garda warning after huge amounts stolen in investment fraud so far this yearThe majority of victims in the past four years have been male (64 per cent) and those aged over 40 make up over half of all victims
Read more »
Motorist handed hefty fine after 'trying to race unmarked Garda car' on the M50The driver was caught by members of the Garda Road Policing Unit who were patrolling the M50 over the weekend
Read more »
€49 increase in Garda training allowance blasted as 'paltry crumb' by Garda repAn increase in the Garda training allowance from €305 to €354 has been heavily criticised by the Garda Representative Association (GRA) after it was announced on Wednesday
Read more »
Gardai using unmarked HGV to catch drivers on phones and not wearing seatbeltsWe hitched a ride with the garda HGV helping in the fight against dangerous driving on Irish roads
Read more »




