The man accused of shooting 10 people on a Brooklyn subway train was arrested Wednesday and charged with a federal terrorism offense after the suspect called police to come get him, law enforcement officials said.
In recent months, the man railed in videos on his YouTube channel about racism and violence in the U.S. and about his struggles with mental health care in New York City, and he criticized Adams' policies on mental health and subway safety. But the motive for the subway attack remains unclear, and there's no indication the alleged shooter had ties to terror organizations, international or otherwise, Peace said.
The tipster was James, calling to say he knew he was wanted and that police could find him at a McDonald’s in Manhattan’s East Village neighborhood, two law enforcement officials said. They weren’t authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity. “I don’t think I could ever ride a train again," Hourari Benkada, a Manhattan hotel housekeeping manager who was shot in the leg, Gov. Kathy Hochul visited victims as young as 12 in a hospital Tuesday night. One had been heading to class at Borough of Manhattan Community College when he was hit by either a bullet or shrapnel and needed surgery, the governor said.
When the train stopped at a station and terrified riders fled, the attacker apparently hopped another train — the same one many were steered to for safety, police said. He got out at the next station, disappearing into the nation’s most populous city.
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Brooklyn subway suspect tipped off police to his locationThe man accused of shooting 10 people on a Brooklyn subway train has been arrested and charged with a federal terrorism offense
Read more »
Brooklyn subway suspect tipped off police to where he could be foundFrank R. James was due to appear in court Thursday on a charge that pertains to terrorist or other violent attacks against mass transit systems and carries a sentence of up to life in prison,
Read more »
Brooklyn subway suspect tipped off police to his locationTwo law enforcement officials say the person who tipped off police to the whereabouts of the man wanted in the Brooklyn subway shooting was the suspect himself
Read more »
Brooklyn subway suspect tipped off police to his locationTwo law enforcement officials say the person who tipped off police to the whereabouts of the man wanted in the Brooklyn subway shooting was the suspect himself
Read more »
New York subway shooting suspect tipped off police to his locationBrooklyn U.S. Attorney Breon Peace said the motive remains unclear, and there is no indication the suspect, 62-year-old Frank R. James, has ties to terror organizations.
Read more »
Brooklyn Subway Shooting Suspect Reportedly Called Tip Line On HimselfJames called the Crime Stoppers tip line to say he was at a McDonald's in Manhattan's Lower East Side, according to CNN. He was arrested about two blocks away.
Read more »