The Court of Appeal dismissed the entertainer’s bid to appeal part of High Court decision over case involving former insurer
Entertainer Michael Flatley has lost an appeal attempt over a decision to refer a row about his mansion in Co Cork to arbitration.
The challenge is to relate to section 11 of the Act, which says there is no right of appeal from a High Court decision referring a dispute to arbitration.Last June, Mr Flatley had lost a High Court action aimed at preventing his multimillion euro claim against Hiscox over allegedly defective work done to Castlehyde being referred to out-of-court arbitration.
The Court of Appeal on Thursday heard there were two insurance policies at issue in the case. It heard the Flatley side accepted that a claim made under a 2023-2024 policy was correctly stayed by the High Court when referred for arbitration, and the appeal court has no jurisdiction on the matter. In an affidavit opened during the High Court hearing, Mr Flatley had claimed Hiscox – which covered his Fermoy estate until last year – was trying to rewrite his consumer household policy into a commercial policy in order to rely on the Arbitration Act.
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Michael McIntyre Announces 'Macnificent' Tour Stop in CorkBritish comedian Michael McIntyre is heading to Ireland with his new show, 'Macnificent', performing at The Marquee Cork in July. Tickets go on sale January 31st.
Read more »
Tributes Paid to 'Gentle Soul' Michael O'Sullivan After Fatal Cork Flat FireMichael O'Sullivan, 62, was pronounced dead at the scene of a fire in his Cork flat last Friday. Tributes poured in for the well-known local figure remembered as a kind and friendly man.
Read more »
Funeral of 'extraordinary young man' Michael O'Sullivan to take place in CorkIn an official notice, the family of Michael O'Sullivan said he was 'full of kindness, integrity, ambition and love, always striving to be the best person he could be'
Read more »
Cork Man's Appeal Over Cannabis Conviction Rejected by Supreme CourtKarl Humphries, convicted of possessing almost 10 kilos of cannabis in 2021, failed in his bid to have his conviction appealed by the Supreme Court. Humphries claimed he was scouting for rabbit hunting when he was caught with the drugs, but the court rejected his appeal, stating that the trial judge correctly explained the standard of proof to the jury.
Read more »
Judge bans man from ever owning pet after he is convicted over ‘cowardly act’ of animal crueltySteven Stawen, of Durrus, Co Cork, repeatedly kicked dog in head, court heard
Read more »
Old people deserve protection says judge after hearing how elderly farmer was defraudedJudge Sinead Behan told James O’Driscoll (59), of Upper High Street, Drimoleague, Co Cork, he should be ashamed of himself when he appeared before her at Cork Circuit Criminal Court
Read more »