World number one’s three-month ban sparks criticism
The World Anti-Doping Agency has defended the three-month ban agreed for world number one Jannik Sinner. Photograph: Zac Goodwin/PA’s recent case resulting in a three-month ban was “a million miles away from doping” according to a senior official at the World Anti-Doping Agency.
“This was a case that was a million miles away from doping,” Wada’s general counsel Ross Wenzel told BBC Sport. “The scientific feedback that we received was that this could not be a case of intentional doping, including microdosing.Australian Open: Madison Keys shocks Aryna Sabalenka to win title The former British number one Tim Henman said the ban was “too convenient” and warned it would leave fans with a “pretty sour taste”.
Ireland Latest News, Ireland Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Sinner case 'a million miles from doping': WADAThe latest sports news from The42.ie in 60 seconds
Read more »
Jannik Sinner downs Alexander Zverev to retain Australian Open title in MelbourneItalian has now won his first three Grand Slam finals, only the eighth man in history to do so
Read more »
Jannik Sinner Accepts Three-Month Ban After Positive Drugs TestsWorld number one tennis player Jannik Sinner has agreed to a three-month suspension following two positive drugs tests last year. The 23-year-old Italian, who won the Australian Open last month, will be banned from competing from February 9 until May 4. Sinner's positive tests were for the banned substance clostebol, which he claims was inadvertently ingested through his physio. While WADA initially sought a one to two-year ban, they accepted Sinner's explanation and imposed a shorter suspension, stating that athletes are ultimately responsible for the negligence of their entourage.
Read more »
Jannik Sinner banned from tennis for three months in doping settlementWorld number one to return in time for May’s French Open
Read more »
Sinner Triumphs Over Rune in Australian Open ThrillerJannik Sinner fought through physical discomfort to defeat Holger Rune in a dramatic match at the Australian Open.
Read more »
Iga Swiatek Triumphs at Australian Open, WADA Drops AppealFive-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek advances to the Australian Open quarter-finals after a dominant victory. WADA announces it won't appeal her case, allowing her to focus on her tournament. Jannik Sinner overcomes illness to reach the quarterfinals, awaiting the outcome of his own doping appeal.
Read more »